My Hair Don’t Care?

It has long been said that men prefer women with long, flowing locks. In fact, my husband has made it very clear that he is one of ’em.

Even so, my hair was the shortest it had ever been when we first started dating.

fizz and frosting hairBut shortly thereafter I started craving a longer style and began growing it out. To say he was happier with my longer hair would be an understatement. (Of course I didn’t know this until my hair was actually longer – good man.)

Fizz and Frosting hair longThe reason I bring this up has absolutely nothing to do with the history of my hair. (If it was, we’d have a whole host of colors to cover. And who has time for that?) But it does has everything to do with how my hair makes me feel.

Right now, I’m all about my longer locks.Β I love how feminine and girly soft curls or a slight wave can make me feel. Similarly nothing can make me feel more slick and put together than a great blow out. But never, ever does my hair make me think about my husband. Don’t get me wrong,Β I value his opinion, and I, of course, want him to find me attractive, but my hair has really always been about me and how I feel when it’s styled in a certain way. It’s a part of my identity.

I’ve got a serious attachment to these locks, so if a day came that I wanted to go short ‘n’ sassy again, I doubt that there would be anything that would prevent me from making that decision–not my husband’s preferences, nor the so-called preferences of men in general. (Well except for maybe if my stylist told me it’d look hideous. That’d probably give me pause…)

This wasn’t really meant to be a “girl power” post. I am more interested in your opinions: am I alone in feeling such a strong attachment to my hair? Or are you thinking, “Lauren, seriously, it’s just hair?!” Do you take other people’s opinions (husbands, boyfriends, friends, etc.) into account when contemplating a hairstyle change?

*Linking up with Because Shanna Said So*

35 thoughts on “My Hair Don’t Care?

1. JC Carter

I always thought that the significant other should at least be considered, I mean they are the one who has to look at you, and be seen with you. Granted they arent the one who has to deal with it every morning, but still don’t you want to please them a little?

2. Tessa

I’ve always wanted long flowing locks, but my thin hair looks ratty when it grows out! πŸ™ I will live vicariously through you! πŸ™‚

3. A Very Sweet Blog

I don’t have a boyfriend right now, but the guys I dated in the past did prefer some length. My hair for the most part has always been short. I’ve wanted long hair, but it just doesn’t grow that long. In the end, if someone loves you they’ll love you no matter what goes on with your hair. HaHa Anything can come up, such as illness, a bad chemical reaction, thinning etc. It’s important that you are happy with it.

4. AJ

Interesting viewpoint. I’m attached more to my bangs than my actual hair. Sounds weird, but I have a HUGE forehead and I always need to make sure my bangs are perfect. I really wish I could do the long hair thing (my ex loved my hair longer too) but my hair is very fine, so growing it out just makes it look stringy. I’m envious of girls like you that can rock both looks!

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

1. Lauren

That’s too funny. Come to think of it, I’ve had long bangs since high school. Maybe I’m attached to them too! πŸ™‚

5. Helene

my husband prefers my long hair- not that I care haha, but i just like mine like that. i just think it’s important to be comfortable with your hair!

First, you look adorable with both lengths! I think some people are really attached to the length of their hair (I have friends who literally call it their security blanket), but I’m definitely not one of them. I think it’s fun to change it up–it will always grow back, right? πŸ™‚ You’re gorgeous, so I can only imagine that your hubby will love whatever hairstyle you choose to rock going forward!

7. Allie

I suppose I take my husband’s opinion into consideration … but he usually tells me that whatever I want to do with my hair is fine, and he’s happy if I’m happy. That said, I know he’s happy that I’m letting my pixie cut grow out. And I want to chop it all back off! But I’m going to wait a little longer to see if I still want to do that, since it’s taken the better part of a year to get my hairs down past chin length.

8. Always Maylee

I’m really attached to my hair too, if I get a bad haircut, I’m instantly depressed. When I have a good hair day, I’m just happy all day. I think it has a big affect on how you feel about yourself, as silly as that sounds. I usually will ask my husband his opinion, but he always just says “you look nice regardless”… yeah you better say that, haha! So my hair is my hair and I pretty much have it the way I want. πŸ™‚

xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

You’re not the only one. I am obsessed with my hair. If it’s not right, then i’m not a happy camper.Don’t forget to link up tomorrow. Show me your favorite spring trend. HOpe you can join. I’m also doing a giveaway for a $300 gift card to gap/old navy/banana republic. Come by and enter.

10. Evani @ Simply Evani

Pshhh is it EVER about our significant others? Haha men are so easy to please, most of what I do beauty wise is totally for me! This is definitely a hot button topic for me because I thought about 4 years ago that it’d be a good idea for me to donate my hair at a Relay for Life event. This was a spontaneous decision and while it was a great sentiment to donate, I regretted it for the entire year and half it took to grow back. I need the ability to curl it, feel girly and short hair was fun but totally not me. I rock the long hair and probably will forever until I can’t anymore.

1. Lauren

Haha, I agree. Most of my beauty routine is more about how it makes me feel. If my husband suddenly started hating on mascara, I sure as heck wouldn’t quit using it!

11. Jenn

my hair is MINE! and I can do what I want with it, thanks boyssss. I mean, I’m the one who is emotionally attached to the way it falls in the morning. I have to sit there and do it for hours upon end. I don’t feel like constantly lusting after something I can’t have because a boy tells me no.
    I constantly go back and forth between growing my hair long and chopping it off at my chin. Before I cut it last time, Dean had said he wasn’t a fan of the short hair trend. Now, he compares every other short hair cut to how I looked with short hair AND he will sometimes bring up the fact that he liked mine short and asks if I’m going to do it again. They come around haha

Jenn
    With Luck Blog

12. Rachel

Honestly, I agree that more men love long hair. It’s scientifically proven that they associate it with being a healthy woman (something about reproduction, seriously I learned it in college and it freaked me out!) I just prefer the way I look with longer hair. If I could rock short hair, I might- especially since my hair is a pain in the ass most times. I say wear what makes you happy and comfortable πŸ™‚ You honestly look amazing with short hair (and most women don’t!)

13. anngelik

I think you look great with both hairstyles! Your short hair looks amazing and your long looks incredible! I like longer hair because I can do more things to my hair, but sometimes I cut it short to change the look a little bit!

-Anngelik
    vogueandheels.com

14. Tara

I am definitely attached to my hair. I wear it sort of short, but it doesn’t mean I am any less attached to it. The boyfriend has never given an opinion on the length of my hair….so I don’t even have to worry about whether or not to consider it….haha.
    Tara
    Penniless Socialite

1. Lauren

YES. This is exactly how I feel. Whatever length it’s at I’m very attached to it being how I want it!

15. Ashley

First of all, I think your hair looks great both ways! I’ve asked my husband’s opinion, but his honest answer is that he thinks I look great either way, which I appreciate. I just do whatever I’m feeling in the moment. When I was in high school I had crazy long hair that i was super attached too, but as I’ve gotten older I just care about it a lot less. If I ever start to think about it, I remind myself that it’s only hair!

16. head to toe chic

My husband loves long and curly hair….but most of the time we’ve been together I’ve had a bob that i straighten. I always do whatever I want to since it’s my hair and it’s my identity like you said. I do love your long hair!

xo,
    Angela
    headtotoechicblog.com

17. Brynn

I like your long hair, but you look absolutely darling with short hair! I’m definitely a short hair lover. Personally, I don’t really care about what other people’s preferences are for my hair. It helps that whenever I’ve asked my husband about what he likes better (he’s known me with hair down to the middle of my back and short hair like it is now and everything in between), his response is, “Honestly, I don’t care because you always look beautiful to me!” I’m a lucky lady πŸ™‚ I love how sassy and spunky and professional and fun I feel with short hair. I felt sloppy when I had long hair, because it became wayyy too easy for me to throw it in a ponytail or in braids. With my short hair, I “do” it every day and my morning routine is literally 35 minutes, including my shower, hair, and make up.

I think the most important thing is for women to feel comfortable and beautiful with whatever hair they have πŸ™‚

18. Rhonda

I know this is an older post, but I just ran across it. I am exactly the same way. I’m hair-obsessed and so much of my identity is wrapped up in it. I do not make hair decisions based on what others think or what my husband likes. Long hair makes me feel classically pretty and short hair makes me feel sassy and funky – like my true self. I’ve been trying to grow it out again, but I just don’t feel like me. I think a chop is coming soon!