Things NOT to say to a Pregnant Woman

I’ll be honest: I am exhausted. Worn out. Dazed. Now that I’m full term, I’ve slowed down even more than I had before. But in effort to keep things light-hearted and fun, I wanted to share some outtakes from recent posts and offer some much-needed advice of things you should not say to your pregnant friends. Trust me, they’ll thank you.

1. “You’re still here?” / “You haven’t had that baby yet?”

maternity black tank dress

I heard this no less than five times just today, and while I wasn’t offended or annoyed at people’s curiosity, I could see this getting old quickly. Trust me: no one is more ready than me not to be at the office waddling around like a duck.

Instead try: “How are you feeling, mama?!”

2. “Are you sure there’s not twins in there?!” black floral kimono

Hah. I get it! You’re attempting to make a cutesy comment about my gigantic baby belly. I realize I’m large, but those three sonograms I’ve had pretty much ruled out that I’m carrying more than one baby. Please just don’t comment on a pregnant woman’s size, unless it’s a genuine compliment!

Instead try: “You are looking great!”

3. “This is your first? Oh, you’re gonna be pregnant for a while still!”gender reveal outtake

I didn’t realize you were an OB! Thanks for assessing my due date by giving me a once over.

Instead try: “Hang in there. Baby will be here soon!”

4. “Rest up! You won’t be getting any sleep soon!”leather vest with lace dress

Bah! That’s a good one. Between peeing 5-6 times a night, being woken up by baby kicks and Braxton-Hicks contractions, and general baby anxiety, I’m certainly resting up!

Instead try: “You are going to be such a great mom!”

5. “When I gave birth…”cargo vest for summer - outtake

Unless you’re going to tell me about your miraculous five hour labor and delivery that was completely pain-free, please just don’t. Horror stories do nothing to encourage a mom who is about to give birth!

Try instead: “Don’t stress. You’re going to do great!”

I know people mean well, but encouraging words like “you look great!” earn you way more brownie points with pregnant ladies than your horror stories!

29 thoughts on “Things NOT to say to a Pregnant Woman

1. Agnes

I love this post! You are so spot on with your advice. I am pregnant and full-term as well and I have heard a lot of these comments leately … So: You DO look great! And you will be a wonderful mom! All the best from Germany … A.

2. Closet Fashionista

Yep, people can be really weird/dumb when they talk to a pregnant woman. They think it’s funny and will make them laugh, but most of the time it’s just awkward 😉
    So may I say: You are looking AMAZING! 😀

3. Nicole

This post is great! I’ve never been pregnant, but I can’t imagine saying some of these things! The pictures that go with each comment are perfect!

Nicole

4. Rachel

Hahahahaha these made me laugh so hard! I love that you are looking at the light-hearted side of things! Sometimes it can be difficult too and you’re right I’m sure most people meant well, but if you would just think for a second what you are going to say and how it might affect someone, you are better off just saying, looking good! You are going to do awesome. The only baby shower I’ve ever been to I heard lots of horror stories, I can’t imagine hearing those right before you are about to give birth!

5. Willfully Elegant

Oh this is so epic in some many ways! I am guilty of having said 1/2 to my pregnant friends and realized I might have offended them..I try not to say anything anymore just in case..but i hear ya loud and clear…its tricky treading theses waters..I got a good laugh though because I am pretty sure the friends to whom I am guilty have long forgiven but are waiting to use it one me some day..LOL.

6. Always Maylee

These photos are great! And I totally agree with your list of things not to say. My least favorite question/comment when I was pregnant was, “are you still pregnant”. I mean, obviously if I had the baby, you’d know.. so stop asking me if I’m still pregnant, because the answer is going to be yes… accompanied by a glare, haha! 🙂

xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

7. Lauren

LOL this was such a great read! I have yet to be pregnant so can’t relate, but I can totally see why these comments would be something not to say. Note taken! Also, for the record, I do think you look great, and you will definitely be a star when it comes to giving birth! 😉

Lauren xo
    Sophisticated In Style

8. Kelly

Oh my goodness, people can be so rude! Well I am going to echo all of these sentiments in the positive way! You look great, the baby will be here soon, you are going to be a great mom, and you look beautiful! Ps. I hate that even your out takes are cute, mine are dreadful!

9. Hayley

Haha I love it! I am almost 10 weeks with my second and am preparing myself for some of these! Don’t you love how everyone becomes an expert on YOUR body when you get pregnant?! Just because you’ve been pregnant before does not mean that you know everything, haha!

10. Bogi @RedReticule

You’ve been an inspiration to any woman out there with your positive attitude and your great mama style! You definitely shouldn’t take any of these comments seriously and just let them go in one ear and come out the other. I love these goofy photos.

11. Meghan

Haha! After reading the first phrase, your response was my thoughts exactly. How do you think the person actually carrying around another human feels? People are a little thoughtless sometimes. Can’t wait to meet the little one soon!

12. Evani

Lol these are hilarious and I could see them totally getting old fast. Well I do think you look great and I’m sure you’ll be a great mama!

Haha I just recently started drafting a similar post and I included some similar to these! People really say the most terrible things! I was talking about the baby kicking the other day and the girl next to me decided to tell me this horror story about how her friend’s baby kicked so hard it broke her spine. Thanks, but I really didn’t need to hear that. Oh and I love your photos!!!!

14. Lyddiegal

Haha, well at least you have a good sense of humor, and these photos could not be more fitting! Outtakes are so fun, I should save up a few and post them… more often than not they end up getting trashed.