The A-Line

Well I did it, y’all. I stepped out of my comfort zone, but I’m feeling kind of “meh” about it.

spring black and white

If you’ve been following my blog, oh let’s say for a week or so, I’m sure you know that I have a seriously love for pencil skirts. Timeless and super-flattering, they’ve been my go-to for a while now, but I decided to try something new. The a-line is having pretty big comeback and claims to be just as flattering as the pencil skirt.

spring black white a-line work wearI’ve worn a less-pronounced a-line skirt before, but this one had a little more flair, and I didn’t quite know what to do with it. I ended up pairing it with my other ole faithful, the button down. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate it, but I’m really not completely sold with this look either.

work appropriate spring 2013Top: Merona, Cardigan: Express, Skirt: J.Crew Sketchbook Roses (similar, on the cheap), Shoes: J.Crew Factory (similar), Necklace: Stella & Dot Ever After, Bracelet: Stella & Dot Eden, Earrings: J.Crew Factory Fireball Studs

spring black and white look workMaybe I just need to try it with something more fitted on top? What would you pair this skirt with?

*Please pardon my wrinkles. I did actually wear this outfit for an entire work day before photographing it.*

27 thoughts on “The A-Line

1. Tara

I actually LOVE the A-line shape (even though I also love my pencil skirts). I am a bottom heavy lady, and I’ve found fitted tops, a belt and high heels help to make the most of the A line shape. I think the belt is the most important part. Once you define that teeny tiny waist the whole A-line shape makes sense…haha.
    Tara
    Penniless Socialite

2. ashley

you look great, lady!! i think it’s perfect for work, but agree those fuller skirts don’t make you feel quite as neat and pulled together as a pencil skirt. i would totally wear that with a tank and sandals in the summer. a fitted, sleeveless top will help the whole look feel lighter. xox

3. Jen {Pearls and Lace}

I love this look on you Lauren! I know you love your pencil skirts but the A-line shape looks just as good! I’ve noticed them popping up all over the place, and I have to say I’m really liking them. I’m looking for a cute one with tiny pleats at the top to give it that fullness…but we’ll see if it actually looks as good on me as it does on you! Have a great weekend!

xo jen

4. Rachel

I like both types of skirts- I think it really depends on if you want to flaunt or hide your bottom. Regardless, I think the A-line looks good on you!

5. Molly

I’m a recent convert to the A-line, but I prefer dresses to skirts. I almost always add a belt, too. I think the A-line silhouette + belt makes my waist look even smaller than a pencil skirt or shift dress.

6. Franziska

I like the a-line on you! I think I really need to explore the other skirt shapes out there because pencil skirts right now are kind of…not working on me 🙁

7. heidi

i hear you, i waver between swearing off fuller skirts and sticking to pencil skirts or continuing to show both love. for some strange reason, i feel younger when i wear a line/full skirts. maybe because they come across a little more playful and casual versus a professional, straight-lined pencil skirt. that is probably just me, though! this is a gorgeous skirt though, i hope you give it another try. i liked someone else’s comment about adding a belt around the waist and maybe incorporating some color.

8. Pingback: Ladylike in Black and White | Fizz and FrostingFizz and Frosting